Pay My Bill
Map to Hospital
Board of Trustees
Emergency Care Services
Laboratory & X-Ray
Medical Release Form
Financial Counselor - Business Office
A. JOB SCOPE AND PURPOSE
To serve as a Financial Coordinator to all patients with the goal of collecting patient balances by utilizing resources available to minimize bad debt write offs. To ensure high quality service to patients, physicians, and appropriate customer groups.
B. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A minimum of 2 years of progressive experience in a hospital Business Office environment, including electronic filing of claims, billing rules and regulations by payer, patient accounts, collections, and registration.
2. Thorough knowledge of hospital business office or hospital-related business office procedures and practices. Must have a working knowledge of patient accounting computer systems, and other billing applications as necessary.
3. Thorough knowledge of the collection process, including collection law requirements.
4. Ability to compile data and provide management reports for process improvement and strategic planning.
5. Ability to listen actively and compassionately to questions and concerns of the patient and family member.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills to include cooperation, ability to work as part of a team, tact, diplomacy and ability to lead and diplomatically influence others.
7. Must be willing and able to work non-routine hours and days in order to meet the needs of the department, if required.
C. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Meets Cascade Medical Center's Customer Service Standards including interpersonal communication and professional conduct expectations.
2. Maintain an exceptional level of confidentiality when dealing with patients and their financial situations both in person and on the phone. Follow HIPAA policies and guidelines to properly protect patient information.
3. Listens actively and compassionately to questions and concerns of the patient and family members. Addresses all questions and concerns in courteous, professional manner.
4. Works with uninsured/underinsured patients on the sliding fee-scale application process, as well as other payment assistance applications.
5. Identifies patients with balances prior to clinic visits, and assists with balance collection and/or establishment of payment plan agreements.
6. Works with all hospital departments to create estimated costs for procedures ahead of a patient scheduling their visit/procedure.
7. Works Athena Soft and Hard Collection Reports in an attempt to recoup patient owed revenue prior to sending to collections and/or writing off to bad debt.
8. Responsible for assisting Business Office and Clinic Receptionist positions in the case of need due to vacation, illness or other need. Provide daily functions assigned to or related to these positions in order to provide effective and efficient service to internal and external CMC customers.
9. Business Office functions include pre-registration, registration, financial counseling, pre-billing, billing of accounts, charity care, collections, claims submission, payments, denials, customer service, HIM, contracting, database management, compliance, EDI/ERA, provider enrollment, provider credentialing, provider education on compliance/billing.
10. Clinic Receptionist functions include answering multi-line phone system utilizing basic phone triage and directing the call to the appropriate location, patient scheduling, pre-registration, scheduling outpatient procedures, patient check-in/check-out, Healthy Connections patient education, and medical records tasks.
11. Promotes teamwork, mutual support and camaraderie among all employees. Works with other departments on projects/improvements to streamline operations.
Kimberly Dalrymple - Controller
Click Here to fill out our official online application.